Here are 5 reasons to consider sedation dentistry.
In America, 9 to 15 percent of Americans don’t go to the dentist because they are
anxious and/or scared. Even though most dental procedures are not painful, people feel
stressed about having their teeth examined at the dentist office. Thanks to modern
technology, however, now those people don’t have to be.
Sedation dentistry is a type of dentistry that allows you to be completely relaxed and
feel nothing when being worked on. Two different techniques that can be used for
sedation dentistry include:
- Oral Conscious Sedation where a patient takes a pill to become sedated.
- Nitrous Oxide is breathed in through the nose to help the patient relax.
If you feel that sedation dentistry may benefit you but you’re not completely sold,
consider these 5 reasons to do sedation dentistry the next time you go to the dentist:
- Reduces gag reflex- Having a strong reflex can make it quite difficult for the
dentist to perform the necessary treatment in your mouth. Being sedated can
prevent or reduce your gag reflex from reacting.
- Lessens pain- Most of the time dental procedures can be painful, especially if
you have sensitive teeth. Thanks to sedation dentistry, however, you won’t feel a
- Relieves anxiety- One of the main reasons people consider sedation dentistry is
because of their fear of going to the dentist. Sedation dentistry allows patients to
relax and not worry about what’s going on.
- Zero lasting side effects- After the treatment, the sedation disappears almost
immediately, leaving you with no side effects.
- Many procedures can get done quickly- Sedation allows the dentist to get
several procedures out the way so you don’t have to keep coming back to the
At Dental Innovations, we care for our patients and want to relieve any anxiety they may
have about coming to the dentist by making sure they feel comfortable during their visit.
If you would like try sedation dentistry, schedule an appointment today and request a
consultation to see if sedation is right for you.