It’s all fun and yummy until someone gets a cavity from the worst Christmas Foods…
With Thanksgiving behind us, the holiday season is in full swing and that means sugary treats by the dozens. So what does this mean for your teeth? More cavities, perhaps? Or maybe tooth decay? To make sure you don’t run into these problems, here is a list of the best and worst Christmas foods for your teeth.
The Worst Christmas Foods:
- Sweets: Oral bacteria feeds off of sugar which then causes cavities.
- Citrus: High acidic foods, such as citrus, eats away at tooth enamel.
- Wine: Is full of chromogens which discolor teeth and is full of tannins that dry out the mouth.
The Best Christmas Foods:
- Gingerbread: If you’re planning on eating Christmas cookies, Gingerbread is your best bet since it has far less sugar and has a few other beneficial health minerals.
- Turkey: Is full of phosphorous which is great for strong, healthy teeth.
- Nuts: Are full of calcium, iron, and magnesium which work together to produce strong teeth.
This Christmas season remember to take care of your overall health, including your oral health. Strive to eat better foods that will help strengthen them, rather than weaken them.
At Dental Innovations in Mesa, we wish you all a Merry Christmas!